recent posts

Monday, November 24, 2014

Featuring: Brenton Booth

Description: Macintosh HD:Users:brenton:Downloads:Muay Thai Pic1.png

FANTE IS WITH ME TONIGHT                                            


In a small room in Bunker Hill
I clip my toe nails then open
the blinds
I can see a building
lots of windows
I stick my head out the
window and turn it
and see the Wells Fargo
Car Park(I know this
because the name is
looking at me)
I then close the blinds
and turn on the tap
I wait a few minutes
then fill a plastic cup
I drink the water quickly
and afterwards screw
up my face
I hope that water doesn’t
make me sick, I then
thought. Sitting alone
in a cheap room. An
unpublished writer
with a full notepad
and the belief that I
will one day be great.
On the edge of the soft
bed. Listening to the loud
fan, and not hearing another
thing.


SUMMERTIME                                                                      


Hot summer afternoons
in the suburbs
of Sydney
1980’s
where even the breeze
didn’t reach,
laying on my bed sweating
in my boiling room
listening to the radio
with nothing else to do;
my father at the pub
drinking
and my mother in the
backyard crying:
all of us hoping for
something more.


THE WORKER                                                                            


The union representative is plump
and dressed in an expensive suit talking
to the workers. They sit uncomfortably
listening to him lie and tell them this
is the best deal they can get. And the
loss of conditions is not really a loss,
but a benefit for them, and they should
all think about the bigger picture rather
than just themselves. They sit there in
silence taking it. They have no choice.
Jobs are scarce and it would be a mistake
to lose this one.


DREAM                                                                                  


Seven years old in my bedroom
in my parents house
a radio on the bed next to
me
the songs all seemed to make
perfect sense
I was just a newborn in a
great thing
a marvellous thing
the human race
I knew so little
but that didn’t matter
others knew
others knew more than I’d
ever need to know
I could live two-hundred years
and still not learn all the great
things that people knew.
And here I am today over twenty
years later
having seen and learned more
than I’d wished I’d ever know
wishing I was seven again:
with that radio and that dream.

Update 22 September 2015

SAVED BY THE WORD

Words
filling
this
page
now
and
reminding
me
of
a
reason
to
still
be
here
after
far
too
many
years
of
disappointment
with
death
only
as
far
away
as
no
reason.


THE DEATH OF THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT

The conservatives have taken
over Kings Cross. The drug
dealers, hookers, thugs, and
alcohol has been taken from
the street. There are cameras
recording every inch for anti-
social activity. Prams have
replaced blood on the footpaths
on a Sunday morning. No more
24 hour bars. No more getting
drunk. No more anything good.
Just a bunch of lifeless dead
people that have destroyed the
only good place left in Sydney.
The conservatives have taken
over Kings Cross:
and I am moving in a week.


WITHOUT A FACE

The problem is we all
want to take
but don’t want to
give
sweating like fools
when we should be
dry and calm
our greatest pleasure
success
but to be successful
others have to be
unsuccessful
so it’s a murderers
game
teaching children to
steal and desire sex
when they should
still be playing with
toys
and not an ounce of
style in our way
all desperate and
willing to do whatever
it takes for wealth
with dead souls
and dead lives
that lose little
when the hearse
finally arrives.


Find a BM link to Benton Booth’s short story ‘The Angel of Death’ here: https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com.au/2016/09/short-story-brenton-booth-angel-of-death.html


Also find Brenton Both’s short story 'Candy Johnson' here: https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/short-story-candy-johnson-by-brenton.html



Bio: Brenton Booth lives in Sydney, Australia. After over nine years of rejections poetry and fiction of his has appeared in over fifty publications in the past three years. If you would like to read more of his stuff, his complete published archive is available at brentonbooth.weebly.com