recent posts

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Featuring Pris Campbell


 

Time Knows 


The angels of mercy 
occasionally fly by my house, 
singing ‘walk in the garden’
or rugged cross songs 
and I’m back in my childhood church 
sipping communal wine
and choking down stale crusts, 
the body of christ.

Sometimes they taunt me, 
dragging my old boat past,
and humming sea chanties, 
with dead lovers, 
hair white, 
flying behind the stern.

I stick out my thumb 
to hitch a ride  on the boat 
but they disappear.
I’m left alone to make faces
from the shadows moving across my wall
and write poems 
no new lover will ever read.




Consolation

You’ve only known me
with my body slain and
curled deep into soft spaces
dreaming of billowing sails
bike rides, hair flying,
along dawn-pink ocean swells.

You’ve only seen me with my brain
in under-drive, thoughts short-circuited.

A turtle could outpace me now.

Soil from the grave dropping
to reveal your translucence,
you speak to me of days
we wished we would have had together,
days when our bodies were unbreakable,
minds yet unseared by loss.

I reach out my hand to console air,
tell you we’ll still have those days
when both our ashes straddle the wind.


Pris Campbell has both free verse and short forms published in journals and anthologies. The small press has published eleven books/ chapbooks.

4 comments:

Pris said...

Thanks fot including me. I enjoy surreal and strange poetry, too.😀

Pris said...

I enjoy writing surreal poetry and strange poetry too. Thanks for including me.

Pris said...

Thanks for including me. I like writing surreal and strange, too.😀

Mosaad said...

I have read it..
Easy moving shadows on the wall silent and calm