recent posts

Friday, December 24, 2021

Featuring Ivan Jenson


Physics for Skeptics 

 

Did anybody just see

me and my epiphany 

just skipping down 

serendipity sidewalk?

And is it coincidence 

or synchronicity 

this deja vu

over somebody 

that just looks like you? 

Because I did 

a doppelganger 

double-take 

and felt like 

the whole matrix 

make-up of my 

material world was fake 

a simulated reality 

contained within 

the blue or red pill

we all must take 

yet, if there were any more 

than three dimensions 

to your beauty

it would only exacerbate 

my hypertension 

and make me worry 

by keeping me 

always hanging 

by a string theory 

and that is far too deep

and I am not willing 

to make that quantum leap 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Now You Tell Me 

 

Now that I am 

out of tokens

and coins of 

fool’s gold 

now that I 

no longer have 

a warm heart

or hands 

or a cup that 

runneth over 

with coffee to hold 

I mean at this 

very moment 

when my clothing 

comfortable yet old

has been ripped from 

my body by the greedy

hands of angels and demons 

all because it is high time for me 

to wash away another decade 

and watch it cascade into 

golden memories 

to savor by some fire 

that heats this haunted house 

full of ghosts that were once

cherished parents or pets 

now that I just dread

the sight of yet another

picturesque sunset 

as they hike the rate 

of my insurance policy 

all I can do is 

accept that even babies 

of the family 

like me

eventually turn sixty 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Boho Honey 

 

I like quirky individuals 

of the female persuasion 

who wear Diane Keaton hats

sport funky boots 

have dimple indentations 

shoulders inked with tats 

and who own 

black cats 

and a vintage vinyl 

record player 

where you can hear

the needle scratch 

I consider them

with their hoop earrings 

and smokey mascara 

to be the best catch 

because they can 

adore Plath 

yet still know 

how to laugh 

at an offhand remark 

and they often

show great originality 

as well as ingenuity 

when we are

naked in the dark

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Repeat Customer 

 

Now that we have 

officially slow danced

horizontally and know 

each other fully frontally

physically and intellectually 

you would think 

we would not be blindsided 

by the swift 

mixed martial art’s punch 

of an argument over 

where to go for brunch 

that results in one of us 

huffing and puffing 

and storming out the door 

yet five minutes later 

turning around 

and coming back for more 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Out of the Blue 

 

She was the sort 

of bubbly 

that made minutes

taste like champagne 

and she could turn

an average Sunday

into a snow globe 

in a Jimmy Stewart flick 

and so it was written 

in blessed cursive 

in the sky 

that meeting her 

was like looking

at clouds beyond 

the sparrows 

and seeing an image

of cupid and his arrow 

aimed right at me 

an unsuspecting target 

you know, a single guy 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Latin Lover 

 

Like nails scratching 

on a chalkboard 

your words create 

a dissonant chord 

an atonal anomaly 

since most of the time 

you are sweet to me 

now I see your split 

personality 

and to think 

I thought 

being with you 

would be like 

coming in 

from the rain 

now, I see

that happiness 

happens mainly 

in Spain 








Ivan Jenson is a fine artist, novelist and popular contemporary poet. His artwork was featured in Art in America, Art News, and Interview Magazine and has sold at auction at Christie’s. Ivan was commissioned by Absolut Vodka to make a painting titled Absolut Jenson for the brand’s national ad campaign. His Absolut paintings are in the collection of the Spirit Museum, the museum of spirits in Stockholm, Sweden.  
Jenson's painting of the “Marlboro Man” was collected by the Philip Morris corporation. Ivan was commissioned to paint the final portrait of the late Malcolm Forbes.  Ivan has written two novels, Dead Artist and Seeing Soriah, both of which illustrate the creative and often dramatic lives of artists. Jenson's poetry is widely published (with over 600 poems published in the US, UK and Europe) in a variety of literary media. A book of Ivan Jenson's poetry was recently published by Hen House Press titled Media Child and Other Poems, which can be acquired on Amazon. Two novels by Ivan Jenson entitled, Marketing Mia and Erotic Rights have been published hardcover. His website is: http://www.ivanjenson.com

Ivan Jenson’s new psychological thriller The Murderess is now available hardcover and as an eBook on Amazon.


No comments: