recent posts

Friday, February 9, 2024

New Poems: Brenton Booth

 


Crime and Punishment

 

She was 

the only

person

I'd show

my poems

to. She'd

always

say with

great

enthusiasm,

"Who wrote

that one?"

When I

replied,

"I did."

She would

say, "It

would have

been better

if you'd

said a famous

writer."

She was

studying 

law at the

big university

and was 

much smarter

than me.

One day she

told me 

she had been

accepted

into a special

reading 

group. There

was one 

outstanding

student 

picked from

a dozen

highly ranked

universities

worldwide

to fly to

Germany

for two weeks

and discuss

Dostoyevsky's

Crime and 

Punishment.

"It would 

cost $12,000

but be worth 

it. Imagine the

conversations!

Great minds

from around

the globe

coming together

for the express

purpose of

art," she said

with great

enthusiasm.

I told her it

was a waste 

of money.

She got angry

and stopped

speaking to

me. When

she returned

a few months 

later she called

me, immediately

apologized, 

asking me to

read her my

new poems: 

she really

missed hearing

them. I

never read

her another

poem. And 

never told 

her: how much

I missed her.

 

 


Tougher than a Million Wounded Phoenix

 

Poetry

isn't

 

about

success,

 

it's

about

 

survival.

One

 

word

following

 

the next.

Making

 

even the

worst

 

times

bearable.

 

 


A Poem for the Editor that Hated My 

Protagonist

 

Dear editor I

am thankful

for your 

prompt

response

to my recently

submitted

story. Really 

thrilled you

went for the

ghost thing

(honestly

didn't think

you would.)

As far as the

rewrite you

suggested

(the

protagonist

being

completely

unlikeable

and not 

deserving 

a happy

ending.)

It wasn't

something

I even

considered.

You'll be

glad to

know I am

using that

feedback

in this poem.

The same

protagonist

from my

submitted

story.

The same 

protagonist

from every

story I

write: me.

Enduring

yet another

luckless

ending.

 

 

Bio:Brenton Booth lives in Sydney, Australia. Poetry of his has appeared in Gargoyle, New York Quarterly, North Dakota Quarterly, Chiron Review, San Pedro River Review, Main Street Rag, Naugatuck River Review, Heavy Feather Review, and Nerve Cowboy. He has two full length collections available from Epic Rites Press.  

No comments: