recent posts

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

New Poems: John Grey




IN ARIZONA DESERT COUNTRY

 

Pebbles roll underfoot.

The earth has a deep red burn.

My sweat is half-dust, half-liquid.

The sun is setting on Arizona, as elsewhere,

but with uninterrupted shadow 

from here to the distant mountains.

And a gleaming gray lizard

pops up suddenly atop a rock,

head darts this way, that,

before disappearing.

 

That creature knows how to survive

this rough-hewn landscape.

Doesn’t have a car.

Has no need to drive 

hundreds of miles of flat road.

Whether stranger from the east

or unwitting insect,

the lizard let’s life come to it.

Then it observes, cogitates,

and reacts accordingly.

 

My presence is worthy of no more

than a furtive glance.

My journey is a succession 

of just such furtive glances.





THE OCEAN DELIVERS

 

Body washed up on the beach,

blue-skinned, hollow-eyed,

but recognizably human.

 

Crowd gathers, 

in curious horror

at the sight of 

wide-opened mouth,

clenched fists,

legs blotchy,

stinking of salt.

 

On a clump of wet sand,

the rigid silence of a being 

so analogous to ourselves –

how absurd and terrifying. 

  

 

 

 

IMAGES

 

You look long and hard

into the mirror.

You struggle to get beyond

simple reflection.

You’re pondering 

how you would feel

about this woman 

if you were someone 

other than yourself.

You pass her on the sidewalk.

Do you say “hello”?

She’s seated alone

in a coffee shop.

Do you plump down

in the vacant chair at her table?

And what if you’re a man?

Is she someone you’d really 

like to get to know better?

And how would she react

when she saw you?

Your mouth twitches awkwardly.

It’s not easy 

convincing a stranger to smile.





WHO ARE YOU?

 

I awaken from a kind of amnesia,

out of fog into who you are,

as if my eyes, my mind, are giving birth to you

and now must find a name out of what I see,

what I remember.  

 

It must be the name I’ve said ten thousand times before,

when crying out for help, or sidetracked by desire,

a name, so familiar to my tongue, it can’t help repeating itself,

over and over and over, 

like a thin invisible wire extended across the room,

with my mouth at one end, your ear at the other.

 

I’m lying in bed, so this really is an awakening.

I’ve been waylaid by dreams with other people in them.

Last night,  my subconscious sprouted wings 

and soared above the city skyscrapers.

It was back in the classroom where a teacher

threatened me with a long cane

for not doing my homework. 

 

And you’re by the door, 

a woman in ordinary circumstances,

on the way to the bathroom,

or downstairs to make coffee.

 

Wait. I believe I have it. You’re Gale.

It was easier than I thought.

No psychoanalysis.

No hypnotist.

No sessions with a therapist.

No need to relearn the language.

 

I can fly in short bursts.

I really did do my homework.





THE GUY                                                                                                      

 

left the army
back in ’97,

dishonorable discharge

 

sorry sarge

about the two black eyes

 

and that it didn’t 

make a man of me –

 

ask around –

 

I was a man

even before I ever went in –

 

it was in no place USA

where I shot out

the stained-glass window of the church –

I was aiming at the priest

 

and I got kicked right outta the barroom

and landed on a police report

which is why I punched out

the first guy I ran into

when they let me go next morning

with a caution –

 

and I racked up debt

wrote bad checks

 

or

as I said to the cop

it ain’t like I’m running with the wrong crowd –

I am the wrong crowd –

 

so come on over

you can’t miss me

I’m the guy 

with the tattooed chest

the earring

and the beer in my hand –

 

 

 


THE GUY                                                                                                      

 

for as long

as I’m addicted to something

then I’ve got unfinished business –

 

make that Qanon

make that coke

make that uppers and downers

and guns

and violence –

 

and, of course,

the little girl

who calls me

“daddy”






Read more of John Grey's work here on Bold Monkey: https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com/2023/04/featuring-john-grey.html

 




John Grey is an Australian poet, US resident, recently published in New World Writing, Santa Fe Literary Review, and Lost Pilots. Latest books, ”Between Two Fires”, “Covert” and  “Memory Outside The Head” are available through Amazon. Work upcoming in the Seventh Quarry, La Presa and California Quarterly..

No comments: