recent posts

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Martin Appleby- A Poem For John


WHEN YOU HEAR THE BELL

THERE'S NOWEHERE TO HIDE

for John D Robinson

 

 

You're the straightest shooter I know

able to craft the crispest, most succinct

lines I have ever read

 

You took a liking to me

and I am grateful for that

 

I don't know what you saw in me

but I like to think that maybe it was a little of yourself

 

You have seen a lot

and you have been through even more

and survived it all

 

You have helped so many others

without expecting anything in return

 

In a world full of ego and hubris

you are a kind and selfless soul

 

and these words are the least I can offer

not because you are my friend

but simply because they are all true

 

You may have heard the bell

but the fight is not over

 

the bell is about to sound for the second round

so get your chin down, get your gloves up

and keep throwing that jab.









Note About the Poem


I received this message today from Martin Appleby, "I don't know if you have heard through the grapevine, but our friend John D Robinson is currently very unwell. He had a massive brain aneurysm and is receiving treatment in hospital. He is on the road to recovery, but it is a long road. I wrote this poem for him, which I have attached, and figured Bold Monkey would be a good place to put it out." 

No comments: