recent posts

Friday, June 24, 2022

FEATURED POEM: GEORGE ANDERSON Delprat's Mine Broken Hill



Delprat’s Mine, Broken Hill

 

I often come across my students 

on local trains, in coffee shops

or at the local shopping mall 

or on the beach.

 

I usually give them a cool wave of the hand

or nod- nothing too intrusive.

 

Anyways, there I was in Broken Hill 

during the July holidays

having driven over a thousand kilometres

the sparse but beautiful landscape of the Barrier Highway 

much like a 3D film unravelling before me-

 

the red clay fields

the shrunken trees

the slouched gangly jogging of emus.

 

And there I was on top the town’s famous slag heap

at Delprat’s Mine 

wearing a nerdy 

white miner’s hat 

and tight blue coat

with a steel safety

red belt and mandatory

lamp ready to descend 

five hundred and 

twenty five feet into

the bowels of the

earth in a hundred 

year old blackbutt 

lined carriage.

 

Behind me in the line, 

I hear the familiar but annoying

squeaky male voice

of one of my Year 8 students:

 

‘How’s it going, Mr A?’


(from George Anderson's chapbook The Portal ( Holy & Intoxicated Publications, 2020).


A brochure from back in the day:






No comments: