recent posts

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Book Review/ Interview: The Asylum Floor #2: Literature With A Sledgehammer (2018) 110 pages


This is the latest edition of the literary journal edited by Brenton Booth. It features the poems, short stories and illustrations of alterative small press icons such as Wolfgang Carstens, Victor Clevenger, Ryan Quinn Flanagan & many others, as well as the poetry, sketches and cover art of the late great Jack Micheline.

Standouts in the anthology include Matt Borczon’s post- Afghani PTSD poem, “Everything Is Just Because It Is”, Dave Roskos’s dry wit in “Analogue”, Clevenger’s poems “Forced Sober” & “She Had Never Tried Wine”, Janne Karlsson’s mad but profound scribbles and Wolfgang Carstens’ short story “The Human Zoo”.


Yesterday, I asked Brenton a few questions about his involvement in this project: 

INTERVIEW WITH BRENTON BOOTH 4 December 2018

What was your overall idea for the book?

As a writer I am constantly aware through my personal submission process and reading modern lit mags of the 'no go' zones for publishing. Writing that says a lot, writing that challenges, writing that purposely seeks to disgust, writing that aims for more than words on a page, writing as a reward in itself, writing to live. The purpose of The Asylum Floor is to give a platform where good writers can express themselves without the censorship of publishing. The Asylum Floor is also about promoting each writers work as best I can. Each issue I purchase over 100 copies that are distributed internationally through the contributors in their local areas to get every ones’ words read by as many people possible. It comes at a cost, but I believe in every writer I publish and the importance of good writing, and that is far greater than money. 

What do you mean by the phrase "Literature with a sledgehammer?"

It is a homage to Friedrich Nietzsche who has had a big influence on me as an artist. It is also the theme of the journal. The Asylum Floor isn't about subtlety; it is about making a statement: preferably a violent one! 

How did you go about selecting the writers and sequencing their order in the book?

I read a lot of lit mags and the writers I admire and think are suitable I contact. Obviously there are still many I haven't published yet. But if I continue with the journal I eventually will. There are also great writers that I like that simply aren't right for the journal. Just because I don't publish someone doesn't mean I don't like their writing, I am no judge of good or bad writing: no one is. I simply publish what I think is right for the journal. I have been pretty fortunate so far. Everyone but one person has accepted my offer to contribute. And they have all sent some fine work my way. Once I accept the work for the issue. I read over it all many times. And put a lot of thought into the best order. My idea is to get a nice journey for the reader rather than just arranging it alphabetically. I hope I achieve this. 

How did you find the editing process?

I enjoy it. I get to work with great writers I admire. And see really good work. Some writers I specifically ask for certain things from. For example, from Catfish McDaris I requested nonfiction on artists. He contributed great pieces on Van Gogh and Dali. Other writers I have requested specific pieces I had previously seen and thought would work. Though the majority of the work in The Asylum Floor is previously unpublished. Getting the right material and putting it together is a lot of work, but also very rewarding.

How did you obtain material from the Jack Micheline Foundation?

I originally asked contributor Catfish McDaris if he could write a nonfiction on his relationship with friend Jack Micheline and the publishing of their chapbook "Prying", which also included Micheline's friend Charles Bukowski. Catfish wasn't able to but recommended the amazing Micheline poem "It Is Not Here On Earth What I Am Seeking" and recommended I contact Jack Micheline's son (a friend of his) to get permission to use it. I did and he was fantastic. He gave me permission to publish the poem and also sent me several of Micheline's paintings to use for the cover image and in the journal. He was very generous. And I am honoured to publish his father’s great work. 

Will there be a #3?

Not sure yet. Good chance though. 


Brenton Booth is a Sydney, Australia writer. His upcoming book Bash the Keys Until They Scream will be published by Epic Rites Press in January 2019.

No comments: