recent posts

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Poems: Heather Sager




Flute of Oblivion

Night is the Sahara of dark sky
hanging its vastness over
an abode with pale crescent
of kitchen light.

A dog barks, sound the crickets.
Memory, that lost Mellotron 
of desire, queue up
your battered music-tapes, 
sound the breathy flute
of oblivion. It’s now almost better
for a person to fall into shades, 
walking, around hedges of 
street corners.

I always roam at night
to better embrace just how small
is me.




I Laugh at the Baby Octopus

In a B movie, there’s a
baby octopus monster
that meows like a cat.

The rubbery toy
creeps
along riverbank weeds.
People have
their backs turned.

You tell me
you won’t analyze 
your fears.
You trust the experts.

I try to figure out
on my own
the purple square
of open window,
lash of cool breeze
wafted from the dusk,
my messy room,
an imaginary balloon
floating from
my brain
into the night’s sky
aloft over dark town-houses
and a warehouse, 
tracking over an alley,
and I imagine I can see
a lost bike leaning
against a shed in the shadows.




When the sky burns

Before my heart stopped, 
I journeyed
under a bright star.

Joys one by one
disappeared—left us
wanting touch,
wanting treasure.

Look back
when saying goodbye
to lost hopes.
The sky burns
and eyes will tear.




Heather Sager lives in Illinois. Her most recent poems appear in Hiram Poetry Review, Poets' Expresso Review, Chiron Review, Rusty Truck, First Light Journal, The Woodside Review and more.

No comments: