recent posts

Monday, August 17, 2026

New poems: John Grey



MANGO


Golden dangling fruit,

I pulled you from the tree,

not a harvest, but a seduction.

Your rind came away in my eager fingers,

and the amber juice

filled the creases of my palm,

like the sun’s own lotion.

 

One bite

and my mouth succumbed

to the mess of love,

down my chin,

on my lips,

in every pore of my defenseless tongue.

 

A wild too brief,

a sweetness compounded.

 

And just growing there.

Imagine that.

Like a lovely woman.

One not expected

but just standing there.





SMALL WORLD, EVEN SMALLER COUNTRY

 

So many people here.

I’m squeezed from all sides.

My lungs are in an uproar.

Breath can’t come soon enough.

 

The old are in residence.

The young are moving in

            in droves.

The rich claim their space.

There’s not enough left over for the poor

but they jam in anyhow.

The middle class lock hands,

stand on each other’s feet.

 

The straight are so crushed

into one another

they’re almost gay.

Democrats crunch Republicans.

Republicans squash Democrats.

They emerge, where they can,

as undecided.

 

And then there’s the ethnic groups.

And the religions.

Irish Catholics, Iraqi Muslims,

Jewish Jews –

I’m oozed from one to the other.

 

I’m in a steam press,

an iron maiden.

Irresistible force

meets immovable object.

 

Look around me.

If only I could.

Go where I want to.

Someone else wants it more

           

            It’s a Democracy at least.

            The voice from above insists.

            So I am a free man –

            but with a prisoner’s reality.





IN SERVICE TO YOUR EXISTENCE

 

my days flicker not for anyone          

in my bitter cold apartment

I see myself often

with metal reflected eyelids

they tap on my brow

always wanting something

maybe love

when it is all done pretending

 

oh well…

at least I found me a room

not far from yours

 

I wanted the flame but took the groove

this cracked path

where ghosts dwell

swiping left as if that meant leaving

 

I speak sometimes to everyone

but never I am still theirs

not because they remember

but because they don’t

 

I’ve learned to inhale with the lights

they pop and I am clean

but only in the flash

I forget my scent        

I am small but again I arrive

as a favor to a poem never returned

 

and one day you’ll drop that coin into the well

and I’ll wave not because I stayed

but because I have always been here





IN HONOR OF YOUR DEPARTURE, I’M…

 

getting abstract like my slurry tongue,

another path to fake feeling,

conveniently absorbed in alcohol

dripping down my shirt –

            fucked it all up

            didn’t i –

while she did what needed to be done,

packed her bags, got on a plane,

leaving me to the weirdest dream

where i’m the only one alive on the planet,

just me and a fridge full of beer,

and a hollow body

that i can pour alcohol into

until i become just like my father –

            fucked it all up

            didn’t i –

how many times do I have to say it,

i’m stuck here, forced to be myself –

(ah, if only you could see me now) -

gently foaming at the mouth,

erasing all miracles from my life,

turning a would-be scream

into another empty bottle

on the kitchen floor –

you and your rachmaninoff,

your duplicity –

            fucked it all up

            didn’t i –

so much for the honest mouth,

for listening so quietly –

ridiculous!

i’m here scribbling empty lines,

whistling rugby songs,

sucking wind,

studying the spider web on the ceiling,

hearing no word from anyone,

and wanting to be

anybody but the person I am –

so what else?

what’s wrong with me?

why must shame have such an undying thirst?

            fucked it all up

            didn’t i





MY WILD SIDE WALK


A moment ago I felt so sick -

from the cloistered wealthy on the east side

to poor people on the streets of south Providence -

the drop off is amazing —no, depressing -

and so cold —

because there is nothing to be dreamed of,

there is no chance to be seized, all is lost,

time drifts backward -

I am walking. That's what I do.

I'm trying to convince my sadness to relax.

No one here's read Dostoyevsky.

I translate "The Idiot" for them -

I am Prince Myshkin in sweatshirt and jeans,

making resolutions I'm too sick to keep,

risks my frailty won't allow —

and you wonder why I can hardly move?

I stare in the windows of shuttered shops,

A pigeon plops down in the gutter beside me.

A car backfiring will be the sound of guns

come evening.

And I'm sick again -

my body puzzles me,

late afternoon shadows evoke a corresponding sadness,

and smells — and the thump of a basketball

on a nearby court — and the face at the

third floor window of a tenement —

it sets the old world in a frame -

by the time any of it reaches me,

the lives of others

have mutated into misunderstanding.

I feel as sick as the blade of an ax

slamming against a throat — or and old tune

I struggle to know the words of—

or the whir of a cop car siren,

coming for some sick kid,

coming for us all.




John Grey is an Australian poet, US resident, recently published in Midnight Mind, Willow Review and the Pennsylvania Literary Journal. Latest books, “Bittersweet”, “Subject Matters” and “Between Two Fires” are available through Amazon. Work upcoming in the MacGuffin, Touchstone and Willow Review. 

No comments: