recent posts

Saturday, January 6, 2024

New Poems: Sushant Thapa


 




1. Curtains, Night and Light 

 

I open the curtains, 

The flowers in my room

Do not weep now. 

I am left with no choices,

Other than letting the light in. 

The night is not a sin, 

I know. 

I badly need to invent 

A free wheel of time. 

A caged freedom

With and audience is an irony. 

The night is not a sin, 

The moon can be romanticized, 

In the company of the darkness, 

Walking few steps longer

I share my night 

With the moon's sonata, 

To step out of my inner cage. 

These days, the curtains remain open 

For every morning. 

The cages also need

To be opened free 

Like the curtains.  

 

 

2. The Price of Attention 

 

I like to walk, 

I like to look up to the sky

And see the birds flying. 

I wish I could skywalk. 

The clouds lift my spirits, 

They are so empty, 

Yet they are generously big. 

The world is blinded, 

Yet, nobody wants the darkness. 

No offence 

To the enlightened ones, 

Who uses soul 

To see like their eyes. 

One fine day

The rain did greet me. 

I asked for a paper cup

With the rain, 

To ease the thirst 

Of whistling birds,

That sing of tomorrow. 

A generous music, 

Goes on a marathon, 

Through my running veins. 

Is it possible?

I am what I listen and see, 

Just when I pay 

The price of my attention. 

 

 

3. Just to Appreciate 

 

Among the hidden boughs 

No fruits are less sweet. 

The smell in the air 

After the field is ploughed, 

The haystacks 

Carefully packed, 

Where somersaulting children

Jump and 

Become gymnasts 

For a time being. 

The flower can wink at you

If you can water the soil

With the efforts

Of your perspiration. 

The freedom of an alarm

Makes even the caution free; 

It is for all.  

Such is the nature, 

To make living

A roadside laughter, 

With a vagabond beating heart, 

For no one. 

Yet, the street music charms 

The forgotten empire, 

That searches for a mind, 

Just to appreciate the amusement. 

 

© Sushant Thapa

Biratnagar-13, Nepal 




LB Thapa of The Hemingway Post interviews poet Sushant Thapa in an interesting and informative article here:   https://thpmagazine.blogspot.com/2024/02/an-interview-with-sushant-thapa.html?fbclid=IwAR1OnpDBO0s1A7TEBZrL8trlI_nqTNqNLGG-OVMaET1xWmsc26YlqZTuQr0 

 


Sushant Thapa (born on 26th February, 1993) is a Nepalese poet from Biratnagar-13, Nepal who holds a Master’s degree in English literature from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. 

He has published five books of English poetry, namely: The Poetic Burden and Other Poems (Authorspress, New Delhi, 2020), Abstraction and Other Poems (Impspired, UK, 2021), Minutes of Merit (Haoajan, Kolkata, 2021), Love’s Cradle (World Inkers Printing and Publishing, New York, USA and Senegal, Africa, 2023) and Spontaneity: A New Name of Rhyme (Ambar Publication House, New Delhi, 2023).  


Read more of Sushant's work on Bold Monkey Review here:  


https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com/2023/11/new-poems-sushant-thapa.html ( 7Nov 2023)


https://georgedanderson.blogspot.com/2023/08/featuring-sushant-thapa.html

(24 Aug 2023)





No comments: