recent posts

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Featuring Gwil James Thomas


19.04.2020. 

 Through 
a lightly 
 smudged 
windowpane - 
 a Japanese 
Magnolia Tree. 

Its blossom 
 twisting 
in the wind - 
 as my eyes 
follow 
 the trails, 
until 
 I become 
the 
 blossom -
slowly 
 drifting 
up 
 into 
the 
 lilac dusk. 


There are Some Poems. 

That can only be written 
feverishly on the spot, 
with everything fucking dropped - 
catching the poem off guard 
before it can resist, 
or be overworked - 
as you break in through the backdoor 
blasting it in the cranium
with the sawn off shotgun -
raiding it for every 
word and syllable you can find 
and leaving before the blood 
can drip back down 
from the ceiling - 
never once looking back.


Catalonian Bread 

You turned off the TV 
that was broadcasting  
bad news in Spanish,
before olive oil dripped 
from my toast slice 
and landed perfectly 
by my crotch, 
like some suggestive stain 
on my freshly washed 
pale jeans - 
as I then looked up to see 
you eating with elegance 
and intimidating beauty.

‘It’s fucking delicious,’ 
I said, taking another bite 
of the lunch you’d prepared - 
‘Please, it’s only toast, 
tomato, garlic and olive oil,’ 
you replied 
‘It’s way more than that,’ 
I added, 
which sounded stupid 
the second that it left
my mouth - 
but you just smiled at me 
across that table - 
still leaving me feeling 
like I was at a royal banquet, 
even if I’d only ever be 
a fleeting king.


The First Job I Ever Had. 

Working full time as a dishwasher 
in a cafe that had once been a public toilet 
with a stressed, but fair Turkish boss, 
a barista that always joked that if he’d 
won the lottery he’d buy the cafe 
and turn it back into a public toilet, 
a chef that’d blast Cannibal Corpse 
whilst angrily pressing paninis,
a waitress that I never quite knew - 
but whose kind face I still remember 
and on Saturdays, an old ex crook 
named Pot Wash Paul who’d help me dish 
as he’d become the bard of the dish pit -
telling me his burglary stories, 
followed by his prison stories and 
that all this world ever came down to 
was crooks and victims and at some point 
we all had to choose between the two 
before they fired him for talking too much 
and I’d always wonder how I’d look back 
at my time in that greasy kitchen years on, 
but in truth I remember little -  
other than it wasn’t the best job,
nor the worst,
but it was the first of many that I’d take, 
moonlighting for the love 
of this strange art.

Gwil James Thomas is a poet, novelist and inept musician, whose written work can be found widely in print and also online. His sixth poetry chapbook Cocoon Transitions can be found here https://analogsubmission.com/chapbooks/gwiljamesthomas-cocoontransitions


No comments: