recent posts

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

New Poems: John D. Robinson



 SHE KNEW

For some reason

she disliked me

with venom and

when she was

drunk, she’d hunt

the bars looking

for me to scream:

‘You, you’re a

drunken womaniser!

watch him!

he’s nothing!

he’s a 

drunken womaniser!’                                                                   

my love would

look at me,

grinning,

she knew.

 

 

  

 

NERVOUS

‘Read it silently, please’

I asked

as she read the risks of

the surgery she was to

shortly have:

the sip of wine tasted

smooth as pink

and white April

blossom:

‘You’re going to be

just fine’ I say:

a smile ease’s across

her face and then she

said:

‘I feel nervous’:

it became quiet and

not too far away a 

neighbour felt the

sounds of horror

splitting the skies

asunder with

hatred.

 

 

 

 

SCHOOL

was 6 or 7 years old,

just heading to cross

the road into school

with my mama

when the sudden

harsh sounds of a 

car’s breaks hit

the world and I

looked into the road

and saw a small 

black dog, rolling,

squealing and 

whelping beneath

the undercarriage

of the car that in a

cloud of burnt

rubber came to a

stop and the little

creature shook itself

and then quickly

made off and I

stood rigid,

my heart booming,

gripping my ma’s

hand as voices 

were raised

as the little dog

disappeared from

eyesight, 

forever.

leaving,

behind a scar

on many.

 

 

 

 

 

HACKED OFF

Although Mother sun was 

high and blazing in blue

and white,

I felt pissed

I felt pissed off

with a lot of things,

with

the horrors of Ukraine

and conflicts around the

world

with

global politics

theology

philosophy

history

art

literature

but I wasn’t pissed

at music

or with my

lover

but I was

really pissed off

with

poverty

hunger

homelessness

injustice

with

the seemingly

hopelessness of

getting it right,

with

the bullshit of

talentless millionaires

called celebrities

with

the shadows that cloak

me with the chimes of

sorrow that taint my

soul with kisses of

sweet betrayal,

I felt pissed

not with Mother sun

or even my neighbours,

but finally, I realised, I

was pissed off

with myself

and gave up looking

for the answer to

the songs in

my head.


No comments: